The Washtenaw County Treasurer sells dog licenses for all residents except those who reside in the following areas:
- Payment must be made with a credit card
- You will be required to fax or upload your valid rabies certificate. A receipt and tag will be mailed to you
If you prefer to mail or drop off your application a printable application (PDF) is available. Complete the application and enclose a copy of your dog's current rabies certificate along with your payment.
The fee schedule for dog licenses is set by a 2014 resolution of the County Board of Commissioners for licenses sold through the Treasurer's Office:
- Spayed/Neutered Dog
- $6 a year or partial year
- $15 for a maximum of 3 years
- Unaltered Dog
- $12 a year or partial year
- $30 for a maximum of 3 years
- Service Dog - No charge with proper documentation
Items to Include With a Completed Application
- A valid rabies vaccination certificate (with a vaccine licensed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture)
- If applicable, proof of spay/neuter
- License fee (credit card required for online application)
- Proof of Service Dog, if applicable
Dog licenses are sold in accordance with the provisions of the Dog Law of 1919 as amended. Public Act 339 as amended, MCL 287.261-290, the Dog Law of 1919, option (f) of section 6(c) states:
- That the owner apply for a license by 1 of the following at the owner's option:
- The last day of the month of the dog's current rabies vaccination every year
- The last day of the month of the dog's current rabies vaccination every third year
All dogs over four months of age must be vaccinated against rabies before a license can be issued. The vaccinations must remain current in order for owners to obtain annual dog licenses.
A Washtenaw County dog tag could help get your dog back home should it become lost or stolen. This is your pet's way of "calling home." A current tag tells animal control officers that a dog has a human companion whose contact information should be on file and rapidly accessible.
Did you know? Microchip implantation and registry is available for your dog. Please contact your veterinarian for details and cost.
License Your Pup or You’ll Pay Up!
The Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners approved a Civil Infraction Ordinance that requires all dogs be licensed or a citation may be issued with fines of $50 to $500.
If you own an unlicensed dog, you will be issued a violation notice before getting a citation. If you receive a violation notice, contact our office to license your dog and remove the fine. All dogs must have proof of rabies vaccination to receive a license.