- Your Government
- Departments A-H
OFFICE OF THE ADMINISTRATOR
May 11, 2023
Here is an update on how Washtenaw County is addressing housing and homelessness, particularly as related to emergency family sheltering.
This year marks the first year of our Emergency Family Hoteling Program. It began on January 1, 2023, and was designed to run through April 1, 2023. That date has been extended and additional resources have been dedicated to addressing the crisis.
- Families have been notified that their stays are extended (no definite end-date).
- Operation of the Emergency Family Shelter program has transition to the Office of Community and Economic Development.
- The Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners allocated $3M to help address emergency sheltering, provide rental assistance and eviction prevention services. That framework is currently being developed and will be shared at a future BOC meeting.
- Future families (after April 1) will have to have received a family assessment through HAWC system (currently SOS) to access hotel sheltering.
- We have not determined an end-date to the current Emergency Family Hotel Program.
In the meantime, County Administration continues to work closely with the Board of Commissioners and community partner agencies to develop a sustainable framework that will address long-term housing needs in Washtenaw County.
Until next time...
Andrew DeLeeuwInterim Deputy County AdministratorPhone: 734-222-6824 (o)
Crystal S. CampbellPublic Information OfficerPhone: 734-222-3579 (o)
Ashley HallBOC Communication and Operations Manager
Carmen Coronado(Temp) Executive Assistant to the County Administrator