Public Swimming Pools
All of Washtenaw County’s public swimming pools are inspected by the Environmental Health Division to ensure the pools are following State guidelines. Seasonal outdoor pools must pass an inspection before they are allowed to open, and year-round pools must pass yearly inspections to remain open. In addition, all public pool waters are sampled every two weeks to determine disinfectant and bacteria levels. A public pool will be closed if it is not operating in compliance with state and local rules and regulations.
Important COVID-19 Update
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) order for masks and gatherings has been rescinded, effective June 22, 2021. Masks are no longer required indoors or outdoors, and there are no capacity limitations indoors or outdoors. Masks are still recommended in certain settings.
Although previous COVID-19 prevention strategies are no longer required for most settings, the Washtenaw County Health Department strongly encourages each facility to evaluate their operations, and to follow CDC and OSHA recommendations to prevent the spread of disease and to protect employee and patron health and safety.
For additional information, please see the following:
- Washtenaw County COVID-19 Information
- State of Michigan Public Swimming Pool Guidance and Rules
- CDC Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfection for Community Facilities
- CDC Frequently Asked Questions from Operators or Managers of Pools, Beaches, Waterparks, and other Aquatic Venues
- CDC Guidance for Aquatic Venues (archived CDC information containing previous COVID-19 recommendations and best practices)
- CDC Model Aquatic Health Code
For specific questions about operation of a swimming pool or spa in Washtenaw County, please email [email protected] or call 734-222-3800.
Swimming Pool Resources
- Outdoor Swimming Pool Pre-Opening and Safety Equipment Checklist (PDF) - Use this list as a self-inspection prior to opening your pool. If you complete the self-inspection and all items are correct, your inspection should go smoothly.
- Indoor Swimming Pool and Spa Checklist (PDF) - Use this list as a self-inspection prior to your annual inspection.
- Public Swimming Pool Rules (PDF) - Rules and Regulations for Public Swimming Pools in Michigan.
- Public Swimming Pool Monthly Operation Report Form (PDF) - This is the form that you need to fill out daily and fax monthly to Washtenaw County Environmental Services at 734-222-3930.
- Discharging Wastewater from a Public Swimming Pool (PDF) - Fact sheet with helpful information on pool water discharge.
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality - Links to public swimming pool rules, pool construction requirements, suggested practices for pool contamination and emergency response plans.
- Pool & Hot Tub Alliance - Pool operator certification opportunities.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Healthy swimming tips.
- Pool Contamination and Emergency Response Plans (PDF) - What to do when you find poop in the pool, and what to do in emergency situations.