Plan Review

Plans must be submitted and approved before permits can be issued, and before construction or renovation projects can begin. This plan review process looks for potential code violations. If problems are found, drawings or construction plans can be revised before construction begins, saving time and money.

Required Materials

Submit the following to the Building Department:

  • Zoning Compliance Permit: This permit, including your property identification number from your tax statement, tells the Building Department that the location and use of your construction project has been approved by your township or village. It is not a permit to build. It is not an approval of your plans.
  • Two sets of plans signed and/or stamped by the Zoning Official: All plans must be drawn to scale, and must show footings, elevations, cross-sectional views, location of doors and windows, structural elements, and enough plan views to show what is being constructed (including floor plans). Before and after floor plans are also required for fire repairs, remodels or alterations to existing residential or commercial buildings. Plans must show dimensions and lumber sizes, spans and intervals. Lists of building materials and specifications will not be accepted in lieu of plans. Drawings that do not show lumber sizes and dimensions will not be accepted as plans.
  • Environmental Health Approval: Washtenaw County Environmental Health Division requires a Water Supply and/or Sewage Disposal Permit. Approval is either a permit or an addition review to approve the type of sewage disposal and/or water supply you plan to use. It is not a plumbing permit or sewer permit. It may be required for non-habitable construction, such as a garage or a deck. It is always required for habitable construction. For complete information, call Environmental Health at 734-222-3800.
  • Two complete site plans: Two site plans clearly indicating all structures, any setback, any new structures and any additions, location of well(s), drainfield(s), and drainfield expansion area(s), if applicable. Site Plans must show elevation markings, and where the water runoff will go. Site plans must be scaled at 1 inch equals 40 feet or larger.
  • Application for Building Permit (PDF): You must include the address where the construction will take place. A lot number is not sufficient. Specific directions to the site must be included. Note: The person who is applying for the permit must appear in person, or have a letter of authorization or power of attorney from the owner.
  • Revision Fees: If plan revisions are necessary, the same fees will be charged a second time, as applicable.

Additional Requirements

Other requirements, as applicable:

  • Architect Seal and Signature - Required for residential construction with building area in excess of 3,500 square feet.
  • Construction Classification and Use Group - Required to be shown on commercial plans.
  • Contractor's License - Licensed contractors must bring their licenses and register them with Building Inspection (both company and individual if under a business name),. If a homeowner is doing the work, a homeowner affidavit must be submitted.
  • Occupant Load - For commercial plans where applicable.
  • Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit - If you are building within 500 feet of surface water (lakes, ponds, streams, drains, wetlands) and disturbing 225 square feet or more OR if you are disturbing more than one acre of land, you must have this permit. Earth changes less than 225 square feet in total earth disturbance may be eligible for a waiver. Contact the Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control program at 734-222-6860.
  • Structural Design Loads and Calculations - For all commercial plans.
  • Washtenaw County Road Commission Approval/Waiver - If a new driveway will be installed.


Plan Review Type Fee
Residential construction with construction costs under $20,000
Residential construction with construction costs $20,000 or over $75 per hour
Commercial Plan Review $75 per hour

Additional Information

For more information, contact the Building Department for your jurisdiction.