The Washtenaw County Youth Center provides temporary custody and care for juveniles in a safe and secure setting. Youth in Detention are placed pre-adjudication, awaiting a judge’s determination of whether or not a delinquent offense has been committed. Youth placed in the Washtenaw County Day Treatment program are placed post-adjudication to participate in life skills and employment, educational, and therapeutic programming. The Youth Center is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 365 days per year.
Provide safe, secure, care and custody for young people that is of exceptional quality in all domains.
A community that is safe, healthy, and just, where all can thrive.
Our Core Values
- In the dignity and worth of ALL people, and that diversity enriches life.
- In redemption, recovery, and relentless hope.
- In equitable access to resources and opportunities for all people.
- That relationships are our most important tool.
- That education is a right, not a privilege.
- That people are more important than things
Safe Place, Safe Space
All youth shall be protected from discrimination based on race, national origin, color, creed, age, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, height, weight, physical handicap, and political and/or religious beliefs. All youth shall not be restricted from access to programs and activities based on these protected characteristics. All youth shall be assured that seeking judicial relief will not be met with reprisal or penalty. All youth have the right to legal representation.
- Medical and Dental Services on site, including medication management.
- On site mental health professional and psychiatrist provided by Community Mental Health.
- Group and individual counseling including suicide screening and crisis intervention.
- Year-round accredited school programming provided by Washtenaw Intermediate School District.
- Trauma responsive care and environment.
- Food service planned according to USDA guidelines for Child Nutrition Programs.