Construction Code Board of Appeals
- 7 p.m.
- 3rd Wednesday of every month
- Western Washtenaw County Service Center
705 N Zeeb Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
If the specific Wednesday falls on a holiday, the meeting will be held on the Thursday immediately following. All requests and fees must be received seven working days prior to the hearing date. If there are no cases or business to be handled, the hearing will be canceled.
View a list of Washtenaw County Construction Code Board of Appeals members.
Each county enforcing the state construction code is required to have a Construction Board of Appeals. The Washtenaw County Construction Board of Appeals hears and rules on appeals to the Michigan construction code requirements.
Information to Submit Prior to Board of Appeals Hearing
To apply for a Construction Code Board of Appeals hearing, the following information must be submitted with a check so that it arrives seven working days prior to the hearing date:
- A completed Washtenaw County Building Construction Code Board of Appeals Application (PDF).
- Include a detailed blueprint, pictures, or any other information that will help the Board of Appeals understand your situation or circumstances.
- Please be sure that information submitted is clear and can be copied. (No larger than 11 by 17.)
- The fee for a Board of Appeals hearing is $150 for residential requests and $300 for commercial requests.
- Send all materials and checks to:
Washtenaw County Building Services
Attention: Deb Schmitt
P.O. Box 8645
Ann Arbor, MI 48107-8645
- Make checks payable to: Washtenaw County Building Services
- Note: Board of Appeals members may contact you for a site visit.
If no application is received for a hearing, the meeting will be canceled. Be sure to include all required information in your request packet, along with the check. Hearing requests must reach our office seven working days prior to the hearing date. You can stop by the office or mail in requests. If you have any concerns please email Deb Schmitt or call 734-222-3892.
Request a Barrier Free Exception
To request a barrier free exception, you must request a hearing from the State Bureau of Construction Codes - see the State of Michigan Barrier Free Design Exception Process.