Drain Use Permits
Crossing, modifying, or discharging to a county drain - or any work within a county drain easement - requires a permit from the Washtenaw County Water Resources Commissioner.
How to Apply
- A drain use permit application
- Plans showing the proposed crossing, modification, or discharge
- Appropriate fees to our office for review.
- An Affidavit of Pollution Prevention and Environmental Protection (PDF) is required if you seek to discharge to a county drain.
- A Designated Agent Form will be required if you are not the property owner.
Electronic submittal is easy!
Just email your complete application
Complete application submittals can be mailed to:
Place your complete application
submittal in the
located outside the
Western Washtenaw Service Center
705 N Zeeb Rd.
Ann Arbor MI 48103
After you Apply
- Once a complete submittal has been received, you will receive an invoice for your application fee via email (if payment was not submitted with the application).
- Upon payment of this invoice, your submittal will enter the queue to be reviewed by a Stormwater Engineer.
- A Stormwater Engineer will review your proposed plan and, if needed, issue a review letter to request changes to the plan via email.
- You can submit your revised plan at your convenience.
- After your submittal has been approved, you will receive an email containing your permit to post on your site as necessary.
We understand the drain use permitting process for construction projects can be overwhelming. We are here to help!
We can assist you by answering your questions, finding the information to complete your application, or obtaining aerial images for your site plan.
Call us M-F 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM at 734-222-6860 for assistance.