Commercial Projects - Soil Erosion Control


Commercial projects with earth changes within 500 feet of surface water and disturbs more than 225 square feet require a SESC permit. Commercial projects include, but not limited to,:

  • Churches
  • Commercial projects / additions
  • Drainage construction
  • Industrial projects
  • Mining
  • Recreational developments
  • Residential developments
  • Roads / streets construction
  • Schools
  • Utilities and pipeline not exempt under Part 91

Commercial permits expire 24 months from the date of issuance. 

Inspections will be performed throughout the duration of the permit. 


A Commercial Waiver may be applicable for earth changes that DO NOT contribute sediment to surface waters AND:

  • Are over 500 feet from all surface water AND disturb less than one (1) acre  OR
  • Earth changes within 500 feet of surface water AND disturb less than 225 square feet

Please contact us at 734-222-6860 to obtain the waiver application form.

Dust could generated on construction site from vehicle.

Banks of river with erosion control measures

How to Apply

A complete submittal will include the following:

Submittals may be returned if incomplete. 




Electronic submittal is easy!

Just email your complete application
and site plan to

Complete application submittals can be mailed to:

SESC Program
705 N Zeeb Rd
Ann Arbor MI 48103

Place your complete application
submittal in the
RED dropbox
located outside the
Western Washtenaw   Service Center
705 N Zeeb Rd.
Ann Arbor MI 48103

Two men sweeping and shoveling on the street

We strive to review permits within 2 weeks of payment of the application fee. 

After you Apply

  • Once your application and site plan have been received, you will receive an invoice for your application fee via email. If no email is provided, it will be mailed to the address provided on the application. 
  • Upon payment of this invoice, your submittal will enter the queue to be reviewed by a Soil Erosion Officer.
  • A Soil Erosion Officer will perform a site inspection and review your proposed SESC plan. You will be contacted by phone to discuss changes to the plan if needed.
  • Once your application has been approved, you will be notified the permit has been issued. There is an option to indicate your preferred contact on your application.

Check the status and detail of permits using our Citizen Self Service portal.

Categories & Application Fee Schedule

Commercial WaiverEarth changes that are over 500 feet from all surface water that disturb less than one (1) acre
or earth changes within 500 feet of surface water disturbing less than 225 square feet and not contributing sediment to surface water
Minor Commercial ProjectEarth changes within 500 feet of surface water with a disturbance between 226 and 2,500 square feet in size$300
Major Commercial ProjectEarth Changes within 500 feet of surface water with a disturbance of 2,501 square feet up to 10 acres in size$500

Major Commercial Project, over 10 acres

All projects over 10 acres$500 + $50 per acre disturbed (over 10 acres)

Silt fence holding sediment from polluting neighboring grass

Closing Out a Permit

The following requirements must be met for closure of the soil erosion permit unless otherwise indicated:

  1. All disturbed areas are permanently stabilized in a manner to prevent soil movement or loss from erosive forces such as rain, ice, gravity or wind.
  2. Any temporary SESC controls have been removed.
  3. All permanent erosion control measures are in place and maintained and the site has been established per the approved soil erosion control plan.
  4. All fees shall be paid. Failure to pay fees will result in late fees and enforcement.

When a permit receives a final inspection, and all fees are paid, a Certificate of Completion will be issued.

Washtenaw County Water Resource Commissioner's Office SESC Jurisdiction Areas

View PDFwashtenaw county township grids and cities colored with agency responsible for SESC permits

Washtenaw County has SESC jurisdiction in:

  • Augusta Township
  • City of Dexter
  • City of Milan
  • City of Saline
  • City of Ypsilanti
  • Lodi Township
  • Northfield Township
  • Salem Township
  • Saline Township
  • Scio Township
  • Sharon Township
  • Superior Township
  • Webster Township
  • York Township

Other SESC Jurisdictions

City of Ann Arbor Building Division734-794-6263
Ann Arbor Township Building & Zoning
Chelsea Area Construction Authority
Pittsfield Township Planning, Engineering & Code Enforcement
Western Washtenaw Construction Authority
Ypsilanti Township Planning & Zoning