Marriage Applications May be Submitted by Virtual Appointment or In-Person
To schedule a video conference appointment to apply for a marriage license remotely, click here.
- Marriage License Application (PDF) between 8:30 am - 4:00 pm Monday - Friday to:
Washtenaw County Vital Records
200 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48107
- One or both applicants must appear in-person to apply for the marriage license. If only one applicant is present, they must have all items listed below for both persons.
- The following is required of both persons at the time of application (Photocopies or pictures on a cellphone are acceptable):
- Unexpired driver’s license, state-issued identification card, or Washtenaw County ID Card showing a correct address,
- Birth certificate (does not need to be a certified copy - only certificates issued by a government office are acceptable, not a hospital certificate),
- and Social Security Card (if card is not available, you must know the number). If an applicant does not have a Social Security Number they must appear in person.
- Persons 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parental consent. Both parties to the marriage must be 18 years of age or older.
- For purposes of marriage application, residency is determined by a current, valid driver’s license, State-issued identification card, or Washtenaw County ID Card.
- If one person is a Washtenaw County resident, you may apply in our office. The license is valid throughout the state.
- If both persons are out-of-state residents, they must apply in the county where they are to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
- Foreign-born persons, in addition to state-issued identification card, driver’s license, or Washtenaw County ID Card, must have one of the following:
- Green card,
- Unexpired Employment Authorization Card,
- Naturalization Papers,
- Valid passport, U.S. or Foreign (with acceptable visa status, if applicable),
- or Canadian or Mexican born persons may use their birth certificates (if translated)
- Inmates in the Michigan Department of Corrections system; see information here.
- Premarital counseling or testing is no longer required.
Fees (per couple)
(Marriage must occur in Washtenaw County)
|Waiver of Three-Day Waiting Period||$50|
Payments types accepted
Cash, check, money order, debit, credit (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, only)
- The marriage license becomes valid on the 3rd day following application (MCL 551.103a):
- Apply on Monday and the license is valid to use on Thursday.
- Apply on Tuesday and the license is valid to use on Friday.
- Apply on Wednesday and the license is valid to use on Saturday.
- Apply on Thursday and the license is valid to use on Sunday.
- Apply on Friday and the license is valid to use on Monday.
- The marriage ceremony must be performed within 33 days of application.
- A list of judges, magistrates, and mayors who perform marriages in Washtenaw County is available upon request.
- Additional information or documentation may be required before this office will complete the marriage license application.
- If you have further questions please call (734) 222-6720.
- Certified copies should be available 7 to 10 business days after date of marriage.