Waste Reduction Sponsorships
Waste Reduction Sponsorships provide funding for Washtenaw County organizations to complete projects and initiatives that reduce, divert, or educate about waste.
The sponsorship program was created to provide local organizations funding needed to help accomplish the Washtenaw County Solid Waste Plan 2017 goals for reducing waste and increasing landfill diversion within Washtenaw County.
Businesses, municipalities, authorities, 501(c)(3) non-profits, community organizations, formally organized neighborhood groups, and other organizations are encouraged to apply.
Click on the "Application Process" button for more information on timing and application requirements. When you're ready to apply, click "Apply Here" to fill out our application form.
The Board of Public Works approved funding through the Waste Reduction Sponsorships for NextCycle Michigan teams locating or investing in Washtenaw County.
If you're looking for additional funding and resources, visit NextCycle Michigan's webpages to learn more.
2017 Washtenaw County Solid Waste Plan Goals
All projects seeking sponsorship from Washtenaw County must further the goals of the SWP, below (available on page 9 of the plan). Each goal has a robust set of objectives, provided in more detail on pages 57-60.
- Reduce the overall amount of municipal solid waste (MSW) generated per capita in Washtenaw County by 5% in the year 2022 and by 10% in the year 2027, with a target of working towards zero waste.
- Increase municipal solid waste diversion rates from current levels (33%) to 38% in 2022 and 43% in 2027, with a target of 100% diversion.
- Develop, support, and monitor comprehensive education, outreach, and feedback programs to achieve the goals of this Plan.
- Ensure the safe, lawful and efficient management of municipal solid waste.
- Operate collaboratively within the County and regionally outside of the County for a comprehensive sustainable materials management strategy.
All sponsorships have a minimum match requirement of 50% of project costs - more details available in the application process document linked above. The minimum match can even be calculated form the cost of staff or volunteer time!
- Small - $4,000 or less in sponsorship requested; total project $8,000 or less
- Medium - $4,000.01 to $9,999.99 requested, total project $8,000.01-$19,999.99
- Large - $10,000 to $200,000 requested, total project $20,000 and above
Projects which significantly expedite progress towards the goals of the 2017 SWMP, such as a sponsorship for a regional Materials Recovery Facility or additional Drop Off Stations can be eligible for additional funds. Please contact the Public Works Manager at 734-222-6864.
Expenditures made prior to the sponsorship agreement cannot be counted towards the match requirement.
Small and medium sponsorship applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Large sponsorship applications must be received between December 1st and Dec 31st at 11:59pm to be considered for the following year. Large sponsorships received during the current year will be considered if funds allow.
Small sponsorships should apply at least two months in advance of their anticipated project or program. Allow two to three weeks for questions about your application. A further three to four weeks is needed for the contract to be signed, to register as a vendor through the County, and to comply with insurance requirements.
Medium and large sponsorships should apply approximately three months in advance of their anticipated project or program for all the reasons above in addition to needing to be reviewed and approved by two Washtenaw County committees.
Find all requirements in the Application Process document.
Awardee Quarterly Reporting Form
To fulfill your quarterly reporting requirement, use the form below.