Schools, Childcare, Sports & Camps
Updated Jan 6, 2022
This page contains information and links for reporting COVID-19 positive cases for your school, child care facility, athletic team or group, or camp. It also provides requirements and guidance for safer operations. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Washtenaw County Health Department at [email protected] or 734-544-6700.
The Washtenaw County Health Department has issued two local public health orders for Washtenaw County educational institutions and settings:
- Order requiring face masks indoors. This mask order was issued on 9/7/21 and updated 10/29/21.
- Also see the Washtenaw County School Indoor Sports and Performing Arts Guidelines issued on 10/29/21 and updated 1/5/22.
- See a summary of scientific literature on the effectiveness of face masks to prevent SARS-CoV-2 transmission here.
- Order requiring isolation and quarantine. This isolation and quarantine order was issued on 9/7/21 and updated 9/15/21 and 1/6/22.
Learn more about the orders here.
Reporting COVID-19 cases
Please use the following form to report positive COVID-19 cases connected to a school, childcare facility, camp, sports team, or other group: https://bit.ly/reportcovidcase
- Please provide parent/guardian contact information when reporting. Please do not send us contact information for any minors.
- Please note that a close contact is generally defined as someone who had face-to-face contact with an infected person within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes. There may be exceptions to this criteria in certain cases where the risk of transmission is higher (e.g. during contact sports). In school classrooms and bus settings with universal masking, 3 feet for at least 15 minutes is used as the close contact criteria.
- See the School/Childcare Reporting Flowchart for a Confirmed COVID-19 Case.
Information for Parents & Guardians
- What Families Can Do to Minimize COVID-19 Risk for Their Children in School
- COVID-19 testing sites
- COVID-19 vaccine information
K-12 School Recommendations and Information
- WCHD Summary of K-12 School Guidance (updated 1/6/2022, includes information for preschools and childcare settings)
- MDHHS K-12 School Guidance
- Legal requirements vs. recommendations - Information shared through the Michigan Association for Local Public Health
- The CDC recommends universal indoor masking for all teachers, staff, students, and visitors to K-12 schools, regardless of vaccination status.
- COVID-19 Information and Resources for Athletics - Recommendations from MDHHS
- Schools & Childcare Programs - Guidance from the CDC
Child Care Information
- The WCHD Summary of K-12 School Guidance (updated 1/6/2022) includes information for preschools and childcare settings
- Guidelines for Safe Child Care Operations During COVID-19 - Requirements and recommendations from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, updated 8/23/21
- Masks in Child Care - Recommendations from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
- Checklist for COVID-19 exposures and positive cases - Recommendations from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
- Child Care Licensing Bureau - Child care information for licensed facilities and families from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
- Frequently Asked Questions - Guidance for child care operations from the State of Michigan
- Schools & Child Care Programs - Guidance from the CDC
Sports & Athletics Information
- Washtenaw County School Indoor Sports and Performing Arts Guidelines
- COVID-19 Information and Resources for Athletics - Recommendations from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- American Academy of Pediatrics COVID-19 Interim Guidance: Return to Sports - Recommendations from the AAP
- Camps are advised to review the child care and sports guidance. Also, connect with your licensing consultant, if applicable, for any specific requirements. Contact us at [email protected] or 734-544-6700 if you need additional guidance or help with a COVID-19 case.
- For questions or cases affiliated with the University of Michigan camps, please contact UM Environment, Health and Safety at [email protected] or 734-647-1143.