There are many resources available to Washtenaw County Residents:
The County’s Office of Community and Economic Development has put together a list of essential services. They have also compiled a living document of service providers that can help with housing, children & youth support, health, and other services.
- Water - Residents of Superior Twp, Ypsilanti City and Twp, and Pittsfield Twp having trouble paying their water bill can get assistance through the WRAP program. Ypsilanti Twp also has a water and sewer rebate program for residents with qualifying income. Residents of other communities should contact their local water authority.
- Gas/Electric - Customers in need of payment assistance should contact their provider: DTE or Consumers.
Food assistance, Healthcare Coverage, and Other Benefits
- Create a MI Bridges account to apply for State benefits
- Food Gatherers has a list of food pantries and free meals available in the area
- The Washtenaw Health Plan can help you find health coverage
- The Home Rehab program can provide: needed home repairs, including a new roof; emergency repairs to furnace, water heater, or sewer; and wheelchair ramps
- The Weatherization program can provide free home improvements including: insulation; furnace and water heater repairs; caulking and weather-stripping
- Habitat for Humanity has a free refrigerator replacement program for qualifying applicants
Resources for Seniors
- Catholic Social Services has day programs, volunteer caregivers, chore services (outdoor chores, minor home repairs, safety installation), and other resources
- Area Agency on Aging provides assistance to seniors and their families
- Jewish Family Services can deliver meals, provide transportation, counseling, and other services
- UM’s Housing Bureau for Seniors works to prevent homelessness by providing foreclosure and eviction prevention. They also provide free income tax preparation and other services
Mental Health & Crisis Support
- Community Mental Health has a 24/7 hotline: 734-544-3050
- Safehouse Center provides support for domestic violence and sexual assault survivors
- Ozone House can help youths in crisis including safe housing, counseling, food, and LGBTQ support
- Thrive Counseling has individual, couples, and family counseling available