- Your Government
- Departments A-H
- Community & Economic Development
- Resources for Homeowners
Resources for Homeowners
Have trouble making mortgage payments? Are you at risk of foreclosure?
Michigan homeowners facing financial hardship due to the pandemic can apply now for Michigan State Housing Development Authority's Michigan Homeowner Assistance Fund (MIHAF) for up $25K grant funding per household.
Who is Eligible?
- Homeowners with household incomes less than 150% of Area Median Income (AMI)
- Homeowners who own and occupy the property as their primary residence
- Homeowners must have and explain a financial hardship directly related to COVID-19 on or after January 21, 2020
Up to $25,000 Grant Per Household to Pay for:
- Delinquent mortgage/housing expenses, including property tax and insurance escrow shortages
- Delinquent land contract payments, mobile home consumer loan payments or mobile home park lot payments
- Delinquent property taxes
- Delinquent condominium/homeowners' association fees
- Delinquent homeowner's insurance,
- Delinquent utilities, gas, electric, water, sewer
- Delinquent internet broadband services
How to Apply?
- Use the secure online application portal CLICK HERE to submit your application for assistance.
- This is the best way to apply for those who have a smart phone, tablet, or computer.
- First review the Acceptable Documentation List and be prepared to provide supporting documentation, such as photo ID, social security number, monthly income/benefit statement, and delinquent housing expense statements.
- Check the status of your submission HERE
- Program questions please call Customer Service 844-756-4423 or email [email protected]
Call a Barrier Buster Agency for financial assistance to help cover important costs or make utility payments.
Barrier Busters is a network of over 100 local service agencies, community groups, churches, and more seeking to serve Washtenaw County residents.
Visit Washtenaw.org/2818 to find an operating agency. Contact them and they will work with you to connect you to financial assistance!
COVID-19: Resources for Homeowners | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Help for homeowners and renters | Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (consumerfinance.gov)
Fact Sheet: Biden Administration Announces Additional Actions to Prevent Foreclosures | The White House
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) | Housing Counseling Locator
New CFPB Rule Protects Homeowners Facing Foreclosure | NCLC Digital Library