Questions about Volunteering (FAQs)
If you are interested in volunteering with the Washtenaw County Health Department please see the information on the Volunteer in an Emergency page.
Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about volunteering with the Washtenaw County Health Department (WCHD) during the pandemic.
What is the difference between the two volunteer options? WCHD will be using volunteers over the next several months. The two volunteer options will allow more people to help in a way that works best for them.
- MI Volunteer Registry volunteers: Currently open to new volunteers. Please see the process on Volunteer in an Emergency page. Allows you to volunteer at vaccination clinics. For medical and non-medical volunteers. Will only be utilized during the pandemic.
- Medical Reserve Corps (MRC): Currently closed, and is NOT accepting new members. Has more membership requirements but allows volunteers more options for helping. Volunteer options include: COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics, COVID-19 Testing Events, PPE/Cleaning supply distributions, as well as provide additional opportunities after the pandemic response. For medical and non-medical volunteers.
Age requirements: Volunteers must be 18 years and older.
Time requirements: Volunteers need to be able to work multiple times.
Time/availability: Volunteers need to be able to help in-person.
- Vaccination Clinics: Most clinics are held throughout the week (Monday – Friday) and on Saturdays at various locations across Washtenaw County. Most shifts are during the day, and some go into the early evening. Shifts are typically 6-8 hours.
- Testing or Other Events: The days and times of other events vary.
Roles at vaccination clinics: Our biggest need is for non-medical volunteers.
- Medical volunteers: WCHD is not allowing individuals with a recently expired license to vaccinate. WCHD is currently allowing Medical Doctors (including residents), Nurses (RNs and NPs), Paramedics, Pharmacists (vaccinating) and Physician Assistants with active Michigan licenses to vaccinate. Medical volunteers can volunteer for medical and non-medical positions.
- Non-medical volunteers: help with clinic flow and operations (such as traffic control, monitoring lines, registration, helping at the exit, etc.). Some of these roles are outside, but most are inside. Non-medical volunteers can only volunteer for non-medical positions.
My license is no longer active. Can I still volunteer? Yes! If your license is no longer active, then you will be a non-medical volunteer.
I can’t volunteer now, but want to in the future. Is that possible? We plan to hold vaccine clinics for several months. We encourage you to check back later to see if our volunteer needs change.
- Vaccination is not required to volunteer.
- Information on getting vaccinated is available on our COVID-19 Vaccination page.
When will I be able to help? We are currently receiving a lot of interest, questions, and applications. It will take some time for us to respond. Thank you for your patience. Your ability to get scheduled to volunteer will depend on your availability and other factors.
Training: Additional details and training information will be provided once you are scheduled to volunteer.
Tips for registering with the MI Volunteer Registry:
**Please note that WCHD can not approve you. The MI Volunteer Registry continues to have a large number of applicants and it may take a few weeks (or longer) to get approval.
- To register, press the red “Register Now” button on the right-hand side of the webpage
- Then click the “Add Organizations” link (it has the orange plus next to it)
- Next click the plus sign to the left of “County Affiliation” to see the names of the counties
- Select the box next to Washtenaw County so a checkmark appears in the box
- Then press “Select” in the bottom right-hand corner
- Complete the remaining fields. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to advance to the approval stage
- If you have questions regarding the Registry, there is a “Registry FAQ” tab on the left-hand side of the webpage