- Your Government
- Departments I - Z
- Prosecuting Attorney
- Services & Partnerships
- Economic Justice Unit
Economic Justice Unit
In Washtenaw County, we care for our neighbors. And when someone hurts our neighbors, it hurts all of us. Whether that harm is physical or financial, the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office stands ready to hold those who do harm accountable.
In December of 2021, the Prosecutor’s Office announced the creation of a new unit that focuses on economic justice. “Economic justice” means many things. But at its core, it means ensuring that everybody is held responsible for imposing unlawful financial or economic harm. Whether it’s businesses stealing money from employees, scam artists targeting Washtenaw County residents, or labor trafficking, the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office stands ready to hold those who unlawfully impose economic harm accountable.
The Economic Justice Unit is responsible for the following subject areas, among others:
- Worker Protection (including wage theft, labor misclassification, and dangerous working conditions)
- Scams, Financial Abuse, and Consumer Protection
- Labor Trafficking
- Holding Businesses Responsible for Promises to the County
Please do not hesitate to contact the Economic Justice Unit, including to:
- Tell us about economic harm
- Tell us about an issue that you are seeing
- Ask us to speak at your organization
- Ask us to provide know-your-rights materials
To contact us, email [email protected], call (734) 222-6620, or fill out our economic harms form.