- Your Government
- Departments I - Z
- Water Resources
- Waste Reduction & Recycling
- Business Recycling
- School Recycling Program
School Recycling Program
What is the School Recycling Program?
The School Recycling Program provides recycling funding, support, and coordination to select schools serving Washtenaw County students. The primary goals of the program are to increase recycling rates at K12 schools and to build a culture of recycling among students and school staff that is carried with them into the larger community.
The program coordinates the collection and hauling of recyclable materials away from the school, provides support for setting up recycling infrastructure within the school, and implements recycling education into the school's curriculum and culture.
Angela PortaEnvironmental Education and Outreach Coordinator
How does it work?
Washtenaw County funds and coordinates the program, while organizational partners implement the on-site educational programming and collection logistics. In the classroom, The Ecology Center delivers educational programming and student training. They also train the schools’ staff to create a well-rounded recycling culture.
Each year, as the program grows, so does the amount of waste diverted from the landfill. To manage the growth of the program Washtenaw County requires each partner to collect metrics.
2020-2021 Year End Program Report
2019-2020 Year End Program Report
2018-2019 School Recycling Program Report
2015-2017 DEQ Community Pollution Prevention Grant School Recycling Program Report
School Recycling Program Contest Winners
2020-2021: Pleasant Ridge Elementary (above, left) and Washtenaw International High School (above, right)
2019-2020: Cancelled due to Covid
2018-2019: Heritage Elementary
2017-2018: Heritage Elementary and Ypsilanti Middle School
Currently Participating Schools
- Achieving College & Career Education (Ypsilanti)
- Anchor Elementary School (Dexter)
- Bates Elementary School (Dexter)
- Beacon Elementary School (Dexter)
- Bishop Elementary School (Ypsilanti)
- Brick Elementary School (Ypsilanti)
- Childs Elementary School (Ypsilanti)
- Creekside Intermediate School (Dexter)
- Dexter High School
- Erickson Elementary School (Ypsilanti)
- Estabrook Elementary School (Ypsilanti)
- Ford Early Learning Center (Ypsilanti)
- Harvest Elementary School (Saline)
- Heritage School (Saline)
- Holmes Elementary School (Ypsilanti)
- Jenkins Early Childhood Center (Dexter)
- Lincoln High School (Ypsilanti)
- Lincoln Middle School (Ypsilanti) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Milan Middle School
- Mill Creek Middle School (Dexter)
- Model Elementary School (Ypsilanti)
- Paddock Elementary School (Milan)
- Perry Early Learning Center (Ypsilanti)
- Pleasant Ridge Elementary School (Saline)
- Saline High School
- Saline Middle School
- Symons Elementary School (Milan)
- Washtenaw International High School (Ypsilanti)
- Whitmore Lake Elementary School
- Whitmore Lake Middle and High School
- Woodland Meadows Elementary School (Saline)
- Wylie Elementary School (Dexter)
- Ypsilanti Community High School
- Ypsilanti Community Middle School
- Ypsilanti International Elementary School @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
School Recycling Program Interview
Watch our School Recycling Coordinator, Angela Porta, interview on CTN about the program and share the recycled art contest winners for 2021.
School Recycling in the News
- "Fifth Graders Win Recycling Challenge", The Ecology Center
- "Issues of the Environment: Recycling Improving in Washtenaw County Schools" WEMU
Is your school interested in implementing a recycling or other waste reduction related project? Washtenaw County also offers a waste reduction sponsorship that may suit your needs!