Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program
The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency program to help income-eligible households pay outstanding water and wastewater bills, providing up to $650 in direct payment assistance toward water and wastewater bills for household accounts in arrears or disconnect status, and/or assistance with reconnection fees when services have been disconnected. Funding will be administered until September 30, 2023, unless depleted prior to that date.
A LIHWAP payment will guarantee service for at least 90 days after receipt of payment.
Once OCED is accepting applications for the program (date TBD), you can apply by contacting LIHWAP Program Aide, Arieona Klaus, at [email protected] or 734-544-6721 or by filling out an online application form (link to come).
Qualified water and sewer account holders must:
- Be a residential customer,
- Be in arrears or disconnect status,
- Be under 150% Federal Poverty Limit (see chart below) and/or actively receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Food Assistance Program/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (FAP/SNAP), State Emergency Relief (SER), Social Security Supplemental Income (SSI).
- Direct payment assistance for household accounts in arrears or disconnect status, including reconnection fees when services have been disconnected.
- For households that have had their water disconnected or are facing disconnection, LIHWAP funding may pay the full cost that will reconnect or prevent disconnection of service (only water arrearages are eligible, not trash cable, etc.)
- LIHWAP payment shall guarantee service for at least 90 days after receipt of payment.
- Social Security card
- State or Federal ID for all household members 18 and over
- Proof of household income for 30 days or categorical eligibility document
Household Family Size
150% Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (Monthly)
150% Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (Annual)
For each additional person
- Augusta Township
- City of Dexter
- City of Saline
- Superior Township
- Sylvan Township
- Village of Manchester