- Your Government
- Departments A-H
- Community & Economic Development
- Initiatives and Partnerships
- Low-Income Household Water Assistance
Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program
The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency program to help income-eligible households pay outstanding water and wastewater bills, providing up to $1,500 in direct payment assistance toward water and wastewater bills for household accounts in arrears or disconnect status, and/or assistance with reconnection fees when services have been disconnected. Funding will be administered until September 30, 2023, unless depleted prior to that date.
A LIHWAP payment will guarantee service for at least 90 days after receipt of payment.
قدم هنا | Apply below for an Arabic form
** please see eligibility requirements below before applying
Current Service Providers
- Augusta Township
- City of Ann Arbor
- City of Dexter
- City of Milan
- City of Saline
- Superior Township
- Sylvan Township
- Village of Manchester
- Ypsilanti Community Utilities Authority (YCUA)
OCED is now accepting applications for residents who receive water through Augusta Township, the City of Ann Arbor, the City of Dexter, City of Milan, City of Saline, Superior Township, Sylvan Township, Village of Manchester, and Ypsilanti Community Utilities Authority (YCUA).
Arieona Klaus, at [email protected] or 734-544-6721 or by filling out an online application form at https://ewashtenaw.formstack.com/forms/lihwap_intake_form.
Qualified water and sewer account holders must:
- Be a residential customer,
- Be in arrears or disconnect status,
- Be under 150% Federal Poverty Limit (see chart below) and/or actively receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Food Assistance Program/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (FAP/SNAP), State Emergency Relief (SER), Social Security Supplemental Income (SSI).
- Direct payment assistance for household accounts in arrears or disconnect status, including reconnection fees when services have been disconnected.
- For households that have had their water disconnected or are facing disconnection, LIHWAP funding may pay the full cost that will reconnect or prevent disconnection of service (only water arrearages are eligible, not trash cable, etc.)
- LIHWAP payment shall guarantee service for at least 90 days after receipt of payment.
- Social Security card
- State or Federal ID for all household members 18 and over
- Proof of household income for 30 days or categorical eligibility document
Household Family Size
150% Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (Monthly)
150% Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (Annual)
For each additional person
Have questions about LIHWAP? Click here to view our Q&A!
Click Here for the Q&A document in Arabic.
Click Here for the Q&A document in Spanish.
Need Additional Assistance?
- Visit MI Bridges (michigan.gov) to apply for benefits and find community resources, including information on State Emergency Relief (SER) programs, providing assistance for emergency housing, utility, and burial services.