Healthy Neighborhoods Team
The Healthy Neighborhoods Team is made up of community health workers and health educators who work with individuals and families to help community members get the care they need. This team advocates for Washtenaw County community members and provides outreach, particularly in underserved areas.
Social services navigation
This team helps connect individuals and families with resources related to:
- Food access
- Essential items like clothing and furniture
- Medical insurance enrollment
- Utilities assistance
- Legal services referrals
- Housing assistance
- Senior service resources
- Medical and dental resources
Chronic disease health coaching and education
- Help community members manage chronic health conditions, such as diabetes, asthma, heart disease, and hypertension
- Provide health education to individuals and groups
- Provide lead prevention and education
- Serve as a communication link between individuals and health care providers
Community engagement support
- Provide health education at community events
- Support community health needs through outreach at schools, libraries and other public forums - for example, we can partner with schools for lead testing
- Work with local organizations to better understand and advocate for community needs
Who the Healthy Neighborhood Team serves
The Healthy Neighborhoods Team works to assist low to moderate income people living in Washtenaw County communities that are high on the social vulnerability index. They serve community members in parts of Ypsilanti, Ypsilanti Township, Augusta Township, west Chelsea, Whitmore Lake, and south and west Ann Arbor. They can also assist Washtenaw residents who are considered low income and are eligible for Medicaid or the Washtenaw Health Plan.
If you have questions about eligibility for services, please contact the team!