Member Resources

Barrier Busters Member Frequently Asked Questions

This list provides an overview of the most commonly asked questions from our members.

Barrier Busters Email List-server

We ask that all members using this resource agree to our List-serve guidelines on content and use.
This link is provided for your reference. 

Barrier Busters Emergency Unmet Needs Fund (BBEUNF)

Barrier Busters Training Materials

  • New Member Orientation
    This guide gives an overview of the Barrier Busters program and funds request guidelines and requirements. 
  • Encompass User Guide
    This guide shows a step by step walk-through of processes in the Encompass system. 

Utilities Assistance

  • DTE Agency Access 
    This tool allows Barrier Busters members to access DTE account information and the ability to place up to two thirty-day shut off holds in a calendar year. 
  • Bill Payment Process Tool
    This guide shows suggested courses of action based on what status the utility customer's account is in. 
  • DTE Energy Assistance and Payment Programs Overview
    This guide aimed at social services provides information about payment plans, shut off prevention programs, customer credits, and information about energy efficiency programs. 
  • Payment Assistance Programs
    This informational brochure is formatted for printing. This brochure is aimed at empowering DTE customers with information about types of energy assistance and qualifications. 

OCED Community Resource Guide

This resource guide provides a broad listing of agencies. Agencies are categorized by what types of assistance they can provide. 

Types of assistance include: 

  • Housing
  • Children and Youth Supports
  • Older Adult Supports
  • Health Services
  • Education Services

Housing Assistance: Housing Access for Washtenaw County

Visit the Housing Access for Washtenaw County (HAWC) website. If you are homeless or experiencing a housing crisis, please call 734-961-1999.

HAWC is Washtenaw County’s central intake for individuals and families who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness. The central intake is the single point of entry for all emergency shelters and housing resources that are available to serve people experiencing homelessness in the county. Residents of Washtenaw County may call HAWC for housing assistance, information and/or referral. Please note: there is a severe shortage of housing resources in Washtenaw County and HAWC is not able to help all people who are experiencing a housing crisis.

Michigan Legal Help

Michigan Legal Help empowers Michigan residents with information and access to how to navigate legal issues without having to work with a lawyer. They also have information about how to find a lawyer and community services for assistance if needed. 

Areas of assistance include family law, personal safety, housing, money and debt, public assistance, taxes, employment, wills and end of life planning, education, immigration, farmworker rights, voting and civil rights and much more.  

Resources for Residents who are Immigrants