Every person who receives public mental health services has certain rights. The Michigan Mental Health Code protects some rights. Some of your rights include:
- The right to be free from abuse and neglect
- The right to confidentiality
- The right to be treated with dignity and respect
- The right to treatment suited to condition
More information about your many rights is contained in the booklet titled “Know Your Rights.” You will be given this booklet and have your rights explained to you when you first start services, and then once again every year. You can also ask for this booklet at any time.
Recipient Rights Complaint
You may file a Recipient Rights complaint (PDF) any time if you think staff violated your rights. You can make a rights complaint either orally or in writing.
Substance Abuse Services
If you receive substance abuse services, you have rights protected by the Public Health Code. These rights will also be explained to you when you start services and then once again every year. You can find more information about your rights while getting substance abuse services in the “Know Your Rights” booklet (PDF).
You may contact your local community mental health services program to talk with a Recipient Rights Officer with any questions you may have about your rights or to get help to make a complaint. Customer Services can also help you make a complaint. You can call Recipient Rights Officer of the Day at 734-219-8519 or Customer Service at 734-544-3000 or 877-779-9707.
Freedom from Retaliation
If you use public mental health or substance abuse services, you are free to exercise your rights, and to use the rights protection system without fear of retaliation, harassment, or discrimination. In addition, under no circumstances will the public mental health system use seclusion or restraint as a means of coercion, discipline, convenience or retaliation.
2020 Recipient Rights Advisory Committee Meeting Dates & Locations
- March 5th, 3pm-5pm, Ontario Room - LRC, 4135 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor
- June 4th, 3pm-5pm, Michigan Room - LRC, 4135 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor
- September 3rd, 3pm-5pm, Michigan Room - LRC, 4135 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor
- December 17th, 3pm-5pm, Michigan Room - LRC, 4135 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor