What is a paternity case?

We will file a paternity case if you have a child who was conceived and born when you were not married and paternity has not been established. Paternity may be voluntarily acknowledged when both parties sign a legal document witnessed by a notary public. The form is then filed with the Michigan Department of Community Health. Otherwise, paternity may be established by DNA testing and/or a court Order.

Show All Answers

1. How can I start a case?
2. How do I contact DHS to begin?
3. How is child support collected?
4. How is the absent parent notified?
5. What about custody and visitation issues?
6. What about DNA testing?
7. What about DNA testing in private cases?
8. What about PA approval of judgements of divorces?
9. What happens at my appointment?
10. What if a husband is not the biological father of a child?
11. What if the absent parent does not cooperate?
12. What if the absent parent lives outside of Michigan?
13. What is a child support case?
14. What is a paternity case?
15. What will the court order include?