Can I refuse to participate in an Equalization Study?

Any appraisers assigned to your property will always begin by knocking on your front door to introduce themselves and answer any questions related to their reason for being there.  If the property owner does not wish to participate, the appraiser will leave.  Please note that, in the event that no contact can be established with the homeowner after an attempt is made, the appraiser will place a contact card at the front door and then proceed with the appraisal.  Unfortunately, due to the large number of parcels visited and the need to efficiently route our appraisers, we cannot make appointments in advance.

According to the State Tax Commission, “an assessor needs to canvass property in order to discover the characteristics associated with land and buildings to value real estate and to identify never reported personal property such as machinery and equipment.”  Assessing officers, when engaged in their governmental function as described in MCL 691.1407, “may survey, examine, or review property at any time before or after the tax day,” per MCL 211.2.  However, an assessor will never attempt to look into the windows or enter a house without first obtaining the owner’s permission.

For situations in which the property owner does not wish to participate in the study, Equalization may estimate the True Cash Value using other resources.  More likely, Equalization may select an alternative property for its study sample within that classification.

Please keep in mind that participation is essential to the overall assessment process, and that your property, if chosen for the study, will be used as a benchmark in guaranteeing that everyone is assessed uniformly and equitably.

Show All Answers

1. Why did someone from the Equalization Department visit my property?
2. Is Equalization the same as my Assessor?
3. Will Equalization raise my taxes?
4. What is an Equalization Study?
5. Why was my property chosen for the current Equalization Study?
6. Can I refuse to participate in an Equalization Study?
7. How is an Equalization Study conducted?
8. What is County Equalization and the Equalization Report?
9. Where do I submit my Property Transfer Affidavit, PA 260 affidavit, or homestead exemption affidavit?
10. Aside from Equalization, how does assessing work in the State of Michigan generally?
11. What is the Apportionment Report?
12. Why is the Property Description Division attached to the Equalization Department?
13. How do I split or combine my property?